Friday, May 29, 2015

The Traveling Scarf: Postal Dramatics

Today I heard from the person who mails the scarves to me and he gave me the tracking number for the lost scarf. Unfortunately, it shows it was delivered to my house on May 21. That was more than a week ago and it is definitely not here. I checked with my husband to be sure, just in case he missed it or put it somewhere and forgot to tell me. He knows the scarves are coming and what the packages generally look like, so it's highly unlikely he overlooked it. Of course, he didn't overlook it. It's not here.

Rather than go into the post office with my 3 year-old in tow, I decided to call instead. I'm glad I did. I called this afternoon and was told to call in the morning when the carriers are still there. They will ask the carrier if they know where they left it. This will be interesting since I am pretty sure we have a different carrier each day. Our mail is never consistent. It has been coming early in the morning lately, but there are days it doesn't arrive until after 4:30 p.m!

In the meantime, I have gotten started on the scarf I did receive. My mom let me have a skein of yarn she won't use. I think it's very pretty. It's Sardir Snuggly Magic. It's DK weight and has green in it. She took knitting classes at the same time I started to learn, but she is more into quilting so she hasn't done much knitting over the years.  She had started what looked like a baby hat with this yarn and I thought the stitch pattern she was following was pretty cool, so I'm trying it. It is pretty simple:


 K1, yo, slip as if to purl, yarn back, repeat.

It creates a different sort of ribbing, but I'm not sure how it's going to work on a straight needle project. She was knitting in the round, so it may have been better suited for that. In any case, I'm going to give it a try and see how it looks and then see if I like it enough to keep it. I posted a picture of each side of the work. It's an interesting pattern.



No comments:

Post a Comment