Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Perfect Wedding Shrug

When my husband and I decided we were going to have an outdoor beach wedding on Kelleys Island I knew I would likely need a shrug or wrap of some sort in case the weather was cold. Our wedding date was September 1, 2011. It is a significant date because it is the day we met back in 1995. Up here on Lake Erie the weather is nuts. It could be 80º or 40º. My gown was strapless so I wanted to have something to cover up just in case. Of course, I realized if I successfully made myself a shrug I would no doubt guarantee 85º and sunny weather. Better safe than sorry.

Finding the pattern wasn't too difficult. My challenge was finding the perfect weight of yarn. The original pattern called for worsted weight and I felt that standard worsted weight wool or acrylic yarn would be too heavy for September and too heavy for my gown which was very crepe-y. I wanted to get started on this project early because it was my first garment that needed to fit properly (i.e. it was the first thing I made that wasn't a scarf).

One day towards the end of May, on our way to the island, a yarn shop caught our eye! I asked my hubby (fiancè at the time) if we could stop and check it out on the way back. Of course he agreed. I talked to the shop owner and she helped me find some ivory yarns to look at and I spotted the perfect yarn for my shrug! It's Aura by Trendsetters. It's nylon and it is lightweight and not scratchy at all. It has an iridescent look to it. I bought three balls of it to be sure I would have enough.

I got started on the project on June 2; shortly after completing my legwarmers. Let me add here that I love lace patterns. This pattern turned out not to be as intimidating as I had feared it would be and I finished the shrug by June 27!

Now I mentioned that the weather could be 80º or 40º on September 1. That weekend turned out to be one of the hottest on record (if not the hottest on record) for the island. It was 93º and sunny! Since I made the shrug for our wedding I wore it for the ceremony and the first round of photos, but before heading to our lunch reception I had to take the shrug off. It was just too hot!

In any case, I am very happy with the result of this shrug. I love the pattern and I may make another shrug with a heavier yarn just to have one for cooler weather (however, the one I made is quite warm for its light weight).

No comments:

Post a Comment