Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Traveling Scarf: Scarf with a Twist

The latest traveling scarf is a little bit different. Instead of knitting width-wise, this one is started lengthwise. It's a unique approach and a good idea to keep the scarf at a desired length. While most of the scarves are knitted across the width and will be quite long (probably averaging around 5 feet!), this one will be a set length. I like the purple stripe. The specs for this scarf are DK weight yarn in purples or greys. I have some greyish yarn in DK weight I've been using for a camisole top. It's called Cestari and I found it at a little yarn shop called VonStrohm Woolen Mill and Fiber Arts Studio near Circleville, OH. My husband actually discovered it on one of his trips south to visit his family, so the next time I was along and the shop was open, we stopped in to check it out. It's a pretty cool little shop with some different brands. My cami is on hold until I find a
contrast color. I want to get more of the Cestari yarn in a different color. I haven't been back to that shop, but I think I will call them and see if I can order over the phone and have it shipped. But, I digress! The yarn I chose for this scarf is Cestari Island Collection in Sea Spray. It's a blue grey.

While I think this lengthwise approach works well in keeping scarf length under control, I think it's a lot of stitches per row. There are 501 stitches cast on! I was going to do a few rows of seed stitch like the others and then transition to moss stitch, but I was worried I'd use up my skein with so many rows! So, I did about 6 rows of seed stitch. It became rather tedious knitting 500+ stitches per row. So, once my stripe was about an inch wide, I decided to call it quits and pass this one along.






No comments:

Post a Comment