Friday, July 10, 2015

The Traveling Scarf: Trial and Error

Well, it took me several trials (I think I started this section over at least 10 times!), but I finally finished this edition of the Traveling Scarf. The criteria were pretty basic: bold colors and lots of texture! No pastels! I chose Plymouth Yarns Encore Colorspun Color #7121. It is greens and purples. The creator of this scarf said she loves bees so I chose the bee stitch!

Try as I might, I was noticing that my pattern was looking nothing like the tutorials I was referencing. I started over so many times and mine was just looking like a weird version of stockinette stitch. There was no texture whatsoever. Each time I started over, I watched the videos over and over and still couldn't figure it out.

Then, finally, I had an epiphany! After ripping it out and starting over for about the tenth time and worrying I wasn't going to get it out in the mail when I wanted to so it wouldn't be late; I realized I had been reading the pattern wrong the entire time! I was adding an extra knit stitch at the beginning of Row 4. Once I figured this out and actually did the pattern correctly, things just fell into place. Funny how that works out!



No comments:

Post a Comment