Friday, April 10, 2015

The Traveling Scarf: The First Scarf!

The day before I mailed my seed out, I received my first scarf in the mail! The person sending to me is a crocheter so it poses some challenges, but I am adaptable. He used a basket weave pattern. His theme is jewel tones, particularly birthstones. The instructions are to choose a yarn that represents our birthstone so that he will have a boldly colorful scarf in the end. I think it's going to be an impressive scarf!

My first challenge was figuring out which way this goes. I wasn't sure which end was up and I had to start over a couple of times because I felt like I was knitting in the wrong direction or off the wrong end. Once I figured out where I think I needed to pick up the stitches from, things went more smoothly.

I still had another challenge, however. What stitch pattern would I go with? I really like moss stitch, and since it is the same on both sides, I went with that. I wasn't impressed at first. I think mainly because the yarn I was using was not that great. I used Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand, which is not one of my favorites. It was a good match for the Red Heart yarn he used, however. They are similar in weight and texture so I went with it. I had to restart it a few times, not just because of my confusion with the orientation of the original, but also because I felt like the texture of the moss stitch was not reading well with this particular yarn. After several retries, I decided to just let it go and allowed it to take shape. The end result did not turn out too badly.


As you can see, the color I chose was red. My birthstone is ruby. I am pleased with the end result. Here is how it turned out. I took a picture of the right side and wrong side even though it's a reversible pattern. Despite all of my trials and errors and frustrations, I managed to get this scarf turned around and mailed on its mailing deadline! I am happy with the way it looks and I do think red and purple compliment each other very nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment