Tuesday, October 28, 2014

More Knitting from the Heart

My husband has asked me to put his sweater on hold and fill another request. Back in July (I think, maybe August), his grandma was diagnosed with lung cancer. I don't know what stage it is, but she's starting treatments and is concerned about hair loss. So, I put the sweater on hold and knitted up a pretty little chemo cap for her. It's a slouchy beret, but I think she will like the style. I have made the pattern before for myself about 3 years ago. That one has some mistakes; like I think I made the ribbed border too short. This one looks better, in my opinion. I suppose it ought to, since I have more experience as a knitter and it's the second time I've made this pattern.


When I first started this project, I was a little worried it would come out small. I was knitting more tightly than usual. I've noticed this in general lately. Chances are, it is stress related. We've had some difficult times arrive, but we'll manage. It just kills my nerves. But, I digress...as usual. The yarn I used was Caron Simply Soft in Oceana. It is so pretty! I love the color combination and it knitted up nicely. It reminds me of water colors. Perhaps whoever came up with the dye colors thought the same.

Bottom
Top
After about a week of working on it, the hat is finished! It came out great in spite of my dropping stitches, losing the stitch marker, having to guesstimate where the beginning was, and knitting an entire row wrong and having to unknit it and reknit it the right way. Yes. Knitting these things at night (and losing sleep all the time due to a toddler who refuses to sleep) may have slowed me down some.

Now that the hat is finished, I'm back to working on the Fisherman's sweater and hope to have that finished by the end of November. My original plan was to have it done in early November, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen now. We'll see. Stranger things have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment